URGENT PROJECT UPDATE:
Bowerman Barn changed to Hirz Lookout
Members of a sensitive bat species, the Townsend bat, have decided to take up residence in the Bowerman Barn for their maternity period. We learned this information on May 25. As such, we necessarily have to change our project in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest to the beautiful Hirz Lookout, and will save the Bowerman Barn for another day.
The Hirz Lookout is in a different location than the Bowerman Barn. Volunteers will be camping at the Hirz Bay Campground, which is on the gorgeous McCloud arm of Shasta Lake and about 45 minutes north of Redding, CA.
PROJECT PARTNER: Shasta-Trinity National Forest
Please plan to arrive between 5pm and 7pm the on the first day of the session; work will begin on the following morning. We will depart in the afternoon of the last day of the session.
PROJECT SITE DESCRIPTION:
Located amid the stunning and diverse beauty of northern California perches the Hirz Lookout. Volunteers on this project will enjoy the 360-degree view from the tower. What we today call Hirz Mountain held special significance for the area's Wintu tribe, but its modern name comes from Henry Hirz, a miner who came to the area in the 1860s. According to the Forest Service, "when the lookout was built, it was originally a structure that sat on the ground. The mountain was a strategic location for detecting fires because it had a direct view into the headwaters of the McCloud River and most of its tributaries. In 1937, the Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) rebuilt the Hirz Mountain Lookout cabin and included a garage and outhouse. It was one of the last CCC-era lookouts to be built. In 1949, a steel tower was added, constructed of a steel K-brace tower that stands 20 feet above ground level" (source).
You can learn more about the Hirz Lookout from the US Forest Service here.
WHO: All are welcome, no experience needed. Those under age 14 must have a parent or guardian accompany them.
CHALLENGE LEVEL: MEDIUM. Volunteers will need to hike the last 1/4 mile uphill to the lookout. This project involves working on the lookout's roof.
WHAT: In order to rehabilitate the lookout and prepare it for overnight rentals, volunteers will:
- Repair and restore the lookout's cedar-shingle roof
- Reframe one of its walls
WHERE: Trinity County, Shasta-Trinity National Forest, CA. The Hirz Lookout is located near the McCloud Arm of Shasta Lake. View a map of the lookout's location here. Volunteers will be camping at the Hirz Bay Campground, about a 30-minute drive from the lookout (map).
GPS Coordinates: 40.897068, -122.245801
Nearest town: Redding, CA is about 45 minutes from the campground (map ). This is a large city and has all amenities.
Watch a video about the Shasta-Trinity National Forest here!
- HistoriCorps will provide volunteers with camping at Hirz Bay Campground. Though complimentary tent camping space is guaranteed, RV space may be limited depending on site capacity.
- First time camping? Visit the National Forest Service's site for tips!
- The nearby KOA (map) has kindly offered the use of their showers for volunteers. There is also good swimming in Shasta Lake.
- Field staff will train volunteers in the project work. All tools are provided. Please do not bring your own tools – we don’t want them to get lost!
- Given the rural nature of this site, cell service may not be available. Please check with your carrier to determine if you will have service at this site.
- Volunteers are responsible for bringing their own camping supplies including: tent, sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries.
- Volunteers are responsible for their transportation to and from the project and campsite.
- HistoriCorps will provide volunteers with meals including: breakfast, lunch, dinner, water and snacks.
- The work day will last from 8:00am – 5:00pm with breaks for lunch, snacks and water in between.
- Volunteers must come prepared with proper attire including: sturdy work shoes, long pants and a work shirt.
If you have any further questions, please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 720-287-0100 ext. 231. Thank you for your interest in this project!
- Session 1
June 4, 2017 - June 9, 2017
|Session 1show details +||$0.00 (USD)||Sold Out|
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: December 30, 2016 12:45 pm
Sales End: June 9, 2017 11:55 pm
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.