Sponsored by Mojave National Preserve and Cornerstones Community Partnerships
Completed in April 2013. Thank you to our wonderful staff and volunteers!
Check out project photos HERE!
History: Garrisoned intermittently from 1859 to 1868, Fort Piute was one of many small forts and outposts linking California, Arizona, and Nevada by military presence. Fort Piute was also called Fort Beale after Lt. Edward Beale, who, in 1857-59, explored the area by camel looking for viable cross-country routes through the desert. Today, only the masonry walls of the fort remain, but compared to many of the small garrisons of this era, the site still retains the same “edge-of-the-frontier” feel as it did over 150 years ago. The site is near a perennial spring with commanding views of the area.
–Find, evaluate, and mix earthen mortars;
–Repoint historic stone walls;
Lodging & Directions: Located on the eastern edge of Mojave National Preserve approximately 10 miles north of Goff’s, CA, this remote project was an excuse to get away from it all and reconnect with history and nature. Camping was on-site next to a perennial spring with Joshua trees. The road leading to the fort was accessible by 4-wheel drive vehicles only. Volunteers met in town, left their cars at secure location, and carpooled to the site.
Dates: Session 1, April 1-5; Session 2, April 8-12.
Additional Information: The project was managed and supervised by two HistoriCorps instructors and was designed to optimize learning opportunities. Camping, tools, safety equipment, and meals were provided by HistoriCorps.
To learn more about this project contact email@example.com