Anderson Lodge is named for its original dweller, the artist, rancher and philanthropist Abraham Archibald Anderson. The lodge is a two-story, multi-roomed building. HistoriCorps restored this building as well as its accompanying Hired Hand’s cabin, a one-room cabin. Read more about the structure on the National Register of Historic Places.
During America’s Gilded Age in the late 19th century, Mr. Anderson crossed paths with many places and people we know and celebrate today. As an artist, he painted many portraits, including one of Thomas Edison; he also personally designed William “Buffalo Bill” Cody’s guest ranch Pahaska Tepee, and his own home – the site of this HistoriCorps project. As a rancher, his love of the outdoors and commitment to its proper management led to him becoming the first Special Superintendent of Yellowstone region, and his home served as its first administrative headquarters. When he wasn’t at his home in the mountains, he resided in the famous Bryant Park Studios for artists in New York City, a 10-story building he bought and developed in 1900.
The Shoshone National Forest was originally called the Yellowstone Timberland Reserve when it was set aside in 1891 (under the management of Mr. Anderson). It was the first national forest in the United States. Encompassing approximately 2.4 million acres, the forest consists of a dramatic landscape: from huge swaths of exposed rock, to snow-capped mountains even in July, to expansive meadows and forests.
Read a beautifully laid out and described history of the lodge as told by Park County Historic Preservation Commission, here!