Partner: Prescott National Forest
By 1878, Palace Station was a thriving stagecoach stop, but by the early 1900s, the nearby mines dried up, rail roads were being built in the area, and fewer and fewer stagecoaches visited. In 1913 the stagecoach services business was sold, but the station remained in use by other owners, including ranchers. In 1963 the U.S. Forest Service acquired Palace Station. At more than 140 years of age, the structure is one of the earliest examples of pioneer cabins in the region. Our partners on the Prescott National Forest have invited HistoriCorps volunteers to do the hands-on work necessary to preserve the cabin, so it can be opened as an overnight rental for the public. It seems that the station’s past, as a bunkhouse and rest stop, has defined its future. Help us keep history alive in the Bradshaw Mountains this summer! High-clearance vehicle required. Tent camping only.