Project Partner: Rio Grande National Forest
The Duncan cabin underwent a rehabilitation treatment to make the cabin available for public rental.
Location: The Duncan cabin is located in the Rio Grande National Forest, part of the ghost-town of Duncan, 12 miles southeast of Crestone, CO.
History: The town of Duncan was established in 1890 after the discovery of gold in Pole Creek, south of the town-site. The town flourished in the early 1890's with several businesses and a post office. However, the site was also patented by the Baca family in 1854. Following a Supreme Court Case in 1887, all prospectors and miners were evicted and in 1900 forced to leave. Most of the settlers moved south and established the town of Liberty and the commercial businesses were dismantled and taken along - all except one, the Duncan cabin. Evocative of the former Duncan town-site, prosperous during the mining years of the late 1800s, the cabin stands a hallmark building of the now ghost-town.
Scope of Work: HistoriCorps volunteers worked closely with field staff to learn new skills and techniques to preserve the cabin. Deteriorated sill logs and the log crib were repaired with epoxy or replaced, as necessary, wood flooring was installed and the foundation stabilized, and the roof had wood decking replaced and be re-roofed with cedar shingles.
HistoriCorps is a service learning partner of the U.S. Forest Service, Department of Agriculture committed to the preservation and stewardship of significant resources on public lands.
- September 9, 2011 - September 18, 2011