HistoriCorps Crew Leader. Three month term lasting July through September (exact dates TBD). Opportunity to work in some of America’s last great places.
HistoriCorps’ mission is to save and sustain historic places for public benefit through partnerships that foster public involvement, engage volunteers and provide training and education.
- Saves historic buildings
- Teaches volunteers traditional building skills
- Advances the use of green technologies on historic buildings
- Encourages volunteerism on public lands
HistoriCorps’ 2013 projects will restore/rehabilitate multiple historic log, stone, adobe, and frame buildings that were originally used as ranger stations, guard stations, cow camps, and miner cabins. The buildings are all remotely located on America’s spectacular public lands (BLM, NPS, USFS, state lands). Most projects are located in the Rocky Mountains however the Crew Leader may be asked to travel anywhere in the United States. While most are accessible by high clearance vehicles, some require a hike to access the sites.
Crew Leaders will:
- Work with, provide on-the-job training for and coordinate projects for volunteers;
- Adhere to and promote work safety standards;
- Plan, purchase and prepare meals for volunteers;
- Serve as a liaison between work crews and project supervisor;
- Reside onsite in primitive lodging;
- Assist with natural and cultural resources compliance.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A willingness to work long days in variable weather;
- Able to live and work in a remote and/or backcountry setting (i.e. tents) for up to 10 days at a time;
- A valid driver’s license and a good driving record;
- A basic knowledge of handtools and the building trades;
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills;
- Enjoy teaching others about historic preservation techniques;
- Work well in groups;
- Can cook meals for large groups (8-18 people at a time).
The preferred candidate will:
- Possess intermediate building trade skills, log working experience ideal;
- Be First Aid or First Responder certified (partial reimbursement by HistoriCorps upon receipt of certificate)
- Have previous leadership experience instructing crews ideally in remote and/or backcountry settings.
Please send resume, letter of interest (maximum 600 words), and list three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.