VOLUNTEER WAIVER AND RELEASE
HistoriCorps conducts a “hands-on” field program in historic preservation, which undertakes rehabilitation projects on buildings situated on publicly accessible lands around the country using a largely volunteer workforce.
Since participation in such projects necessarily entails a variety of risks and dangers, as an express condition to participating as a volunteer in a HistoriCorps project, individuals are required to review and agree to this Waiver and Release. Individuals must sign this form for each project in which they participate. Therefore, in consideration for being allowed to participate in the HistoriCorps project identified below (the “Project”), the undersigned (“Volunteer”), hereby acknowledges and agrees as follows:
1. While HistoriCorps and its employees endeavor to take all reasonable cautions to avoid exposing Volunteers to anything that presents an undue risk of injury or illness, just given the nature of HistoriCorps projects, it is possible that Volunteers may nevertheless be exposed to one or more of the following risks, accidents or hazards while working at or on the Project site, temporarily residing at or near the Project site and/or traveling to and from the Project site:
- Construction-related hazards, including without limitation, loud noises, dust, sharp or dangerous tools and other equipment, heights, unstable buildings or structures, and the need to move or lift heavy and/or awkward loads;
- Environmental hazards such as exposure to extreme altitude, mold, asbestos, or other substances that may have been used in the construction of the structure being rehabilitated or have developed since the structure was built;
- Natural hazards such as wild animals, mosquitoes, ticks or other parasites, rodent-borne diseases, slide areas, deadfall and harmful flora such as poison ivy or poison oak;
- Weather-related hazards, such as heat, cold, wind, snow, flooding, elevation, ice, rain that may make working conditions more difficult or dangerous.
2. While Volunteers are covered by HistoriCorps’ volunteer accident policy for injuries sustained during the Project, it is possible that this insurance may not cover all of the costs associated with any illness or injury incurred as a result of participation in the Project.
3. Volunteer expressly acknowledges that the activities associated with the HistoriCorps Project to which this Waiver and Release relates contain inherent elements of hazard, danger and risk and that Volunteer could be seriously injured or even killed or develop a serious illness as a result of participating in this Project. I am voluntarily participating in these activities with the understanding and appreciation that participation in the Project carries with it these sorts of risks and dangers and I hereby agree to assume any and all risks of bodily injury, death, or property damage, whether such risks or dangers are presently known or unknown, direct or indirect, fixed or contingent, liquidated or unliquidated and/or foreseeable or unforeseeable, that, in each case, I may be exposed to as a result of my participation in the Project.
4. Volunteer hereby releases, discharges and covenants not to sue HistoriCorps or any of its directors, officers, members, agents, employees, successors and/or assigns (collectively, “Releasees”) from and with respect to any and all claims, damages, suits, liabilities and other obligations (including attorneys’ fees and costs), including, without limitation, claims or damages for bodily injury, death, illness, or property damage, that are suffered or incurred by Volunteer, whether direct or indirect, known or unknown, fixed or contingent, liquidated or unliquidated and/or foreseeable or unforeseeable, and that, in each case, relate to or occur as a result of, or arise in connection with, Volunteer’s participating in the HistoriCorps Project to which this Waiver and Release relates, except for any such claims that arise solely out of the gross negligence or willful misconduct of HistoriCorps or any of its employees. Volunteer hereby waives, releases and discharges any such claims, damages, suits, liabilities and other obligations that the undersigned may now have or hereafter acquire in connection with my participation in such HistoriCorps Project.
5. Volunteer hereby consents to the use by HistoriCorps, or a third party to which HistoriCorps has granted permission, for any purpose (including without limitation, inclusion in any HistoriCorps or third party brochure, and website, or other published material) of any photo, video or other images taken of me while I am engaged on the Project. I understand that I shall not be entitled to receive compensation for any such use of my image by HistoriCorps.
This Waiver and Release shall bind the undersigned and the undersigned’s heirs, personal representatives, executors, successors, and assigns and shall inure to the benefit of HistoriCorps and the other Releasees. This Release shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Colorado.
Waiver is to be signed online when pre-registering for any project. Volunteers under age 14 are not permitted to volunteer on HistoriCorps projects. If a volunteer is between age 14-17, their parent/guardian must request permission from HistoriCorps before registering for their chosen project. Approved volunteers age 14-17 must participate with an adult parent/guardian. The parent/guardian must sign this waiver on behalf of the minor.
Last Revised: February 2019